Chanda VanderHart participated with soprano Rebecca Nelsen for the Gustav Mahler course with mezzo-soprano Jard van Nes and pianist David Selig and with soprano Sarah Kramer for the Franz Schubert course with bass-bariton Robert Holl and pianist Rudolf Jansen.
A extensive photo gallery is available on the portfolio of Dutch photograph Elisabeth Melchior.
Below is a radio recording of the final concert, as broadcast on Radio 4 TROS.
The broadcast of the concert starts 1h24min into the radio program (total duration: 4h00).
Program of the radio broadcast:
A. The final concert of Mahler and Schubert Masterclass 10/04/2011 in the Beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam by various soloists.
B. 1. Wagner. Parsifal prelude.
2. Mahler. Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen. Sarah Connolly, mezzo soprano.
3. Mahler. Totenfeier.
4. Liszt. Les Préludes. Orchestra of the Age of Vladimir Jurowski conducted Enlightement. 21.01.2011
Inclusion of the Royal Festival Hall in London.
C. Works of Chopin.
1. Andante spianato and grand polonaise in E flat opus 22.
2. Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Opus 21.
3. Etude Opus 25 No. 1 in As. Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Antoni Wit. Lang Lang, piano.
Inclusion of 07.01.2010 from the Philharmonic Concert Hall in Warsaw.
Rebecca Nelsen, soprano: “Rarely does a singer feel as cared for and as respected in a Masterclass setting as I did this year as a participant of the Schubert and Mahler Masterclass. The attention to detail and painstaking preparation that went into the course before the participants even arrived was evident on the first day at our welcome lunch – we were presented with welcome packets, fed a lovely lunch and given the opportunity to get to know our new mentors: Jard van Nes, David Selig, Robert Holl and Rudolf Jansen.” ■
Chanda VanderHart, pianist: “Thank you so much for the opportunity to work and perform in the Mahler and Schubert Masterclass this past April. There was such attention to detail and to our needs taken, making it a joy to come and participate. The venue is beautiful, the audience appreciative, the teachers constructive, and the host family accommodations palatial. I could not have asked for a better environment to explore Schubert and Mahler Lieder, and feel lucky to have been selected to take part. Thank you for a wonderful week.” ■
List of participants:
- Rebecca Nelsen, soprano and Chanda VanderHart, piano (USA)
- Sarah Marie Kramer, soprano and Chanda VanderHart, piano (Canada / USA)
- Nikoletta Bolya-Pap, soprano and Judith Csüllög, piano (Hungary)
- Sonja Volten, soprano and Natasha Douma, piano (Netherlands)
- Karolina Hartman, mezzo-soprano and Yuri van Nieuwkerk, piano (Netherlands / Sweden)
- Pauline Leroy, mezzo-soprano and Alexandre Grelot, piano (France)
- Carina Vinke, alto and Eke Simons, piano (both Netherlands)
- Emilio Pons, tenor and Robert Bärwald, piano (Mexico / Germany)
- Artur Rozek,baritone and Anastasia Levandovskaia, piano (Poland)